Home    Contact Us  

Wastewater Treatment Plants

The Sanitation Districtsā€™ 11 wastewater treatment plants stretch from the Antelope Valley and Santa Clarita Valley to the ocean. They treat approximately 450 million gallons of wastewater every day.

Joint Water Pollution Control Plant (JWPCP)
Whittier Narrows Water Reclamation Plant (near South El Monte)
Los Coyotes Water Reclamation Plant (Cerritos)
San Jose Creek Water Reclamation Plant (near the City of Whittier)
Long Beach Water Reclamation Plant
Pomona Water Reclamation Plant
La CaƱada Water Reclamation Plant (La CaƱada-Flintridge)
Valencia Water Reclamation Plant
Saugus Water Reclamation Plant (Santa Clarita)
Palmdale Water Reclamation Plant
Lancaster Water Reclamation Plant

Joint Water Pollution Control Plant (JWPCP)
The JWPCP, located in the city of Carson, is the Districts' first facility and began operation in 1928. There are two tunnels connecting the plant to the ocean outfalls that were constructed in 1937 and 1958. Through the 1950s, the JWPCP was the only facility serving the Joint Outfall System.

The JWPCP has a capacity of 400 million gallons per day (mgd). The incoming wastewater is processed to a secondary treatment level (similar to the biological treatment at the water reclamation plants) but, since the water has a high salt content, it is not readily reusable.

After treatment, the water is discharged into the ocean through two 6-mile long tunnels that extend under the Palos Verdes Peninsula at White Point where they connect to ocean outfalls. Two outfalls that extend 1-1/2 miles into the ocean at a depth of approximately 200 feet are used to discharge treated wastewater, and two smaller outfalls are available for use during peak flow conditions.

The JWPCP also has elaborate systems to treat and recycle the solid organic materials removed during treatment at the upstream water reclamation plants. Wastewater solids are stabilized through anaerobic digestion, and the biogas (mostly methane gas and carbon dioxide) generated during the digestion process supplies the plant's energy needs. The resulting biosolids are beneficially reused (e.g., as soil amendment).

The Sanitation Districts own buffer property around the JWPCP that is occupied by the Wilmington Jaycees Athletic Complex, the Wilmington Boys and Girls Club, the Carson Depot Commercial Center, and a 17 -acre Bixby Marshland that is currently being restored and enhanced.

Seven of the Sanitation Districtsā€™ 10 Water Reclamation Plants (WRPs) are located near rivers to allow for the disposal of the treated water.


Joint Water Pollution Control Plant (JWPCP)


White Point on the Palos Verdes Peninsula

Whittier Narrows Water Reclamation Plant
(near South El Monte)

Located in an unincorporated area near South El Monte, in the Whittier Narrows Flood Control Basin, the plant has a capacity of 15 mgd. More than 99% of the reclaimed water is beneficially reused, mostly for groundwater recharge.

Click to Enlarge

Los Coyotes Water Reclamation Plant (Cerritos)
Some of the reclaimed water from the Los Coyotes Water Reclamation Plant (treatment capacity of 37.5 mgd) is used for irrigation of the Ironwood Nine Golf Course and driving range and for irrigation and landscaping in several neighboring cities. The remainder is put into the San Gabriel River and flows to the ocean.

Click to Enlarge

San Jose Creek Water Reclamation Plant
(near the City of Whittier)
Located in unincorporated area near the City of Whittier, this is the Sanitation Districtsā€™ largest reclamation plant (100 mgd). Approximately half of the reclaimed water produced at this plant is reused, mostly for groundwater recharge. The remainder is put into the San Gabriel River and flows to the ocean.

Click to Enlarge

Long Beach Water Reclamation Plant
The City of Long Beach reuses some of the reclaimed water produced at this facility (which has a capacity of 25 mgd) for irrigation of parks, schools, golf courses, cemeteries, greenbelts, and commercial nurseries. In addition, some of the reclaimed water receives advanced microfiltration/reverse osmosis with ultraviolet light disinfection at a separate facility built by the Water Replenishment District. This water is used as a seawater intrusion barrier. The remaining reclaimed water is put into the San Gabriel River and flows to the ocean.

Click to Enlarge

Pomona Water Reclamation Plant
The Pomona plant has a capacity of 15 mgd; more than half of the water reclaimed at this facility is supplied to local distribution systems operated by the Pomona Water Department and the Walnut Valley Water District for irrigation, landscaping and industrial applications. The remaining reclaimed water is discharged into San Jose Creek.

Click to Enlarge

La CaƱada Water Reclamation Plant (La CaƱada-Flintridge)
Located on the grounds of the La CaƱada-Flintridge Country Club, the plant provides extended aeration secondary treatment for up to 200,000 gallons of wastewater per day, serving homes surrounding the golf course. All of the reclaimed water is put into four lakes and is used for irrigation of the golf course.

Click to Enlarge

The following four WRPs operate independent of the Joint Outfall System and are, therefore, not part of the Clearwater Program.

Valencia Water Reclamation Plant
The plant is located west of the Golden State Freeway near Magic Mountain Parkway. It was constructed in 1967 and currently has a treatment capacity of 21.6 mgd. Some of the reclaimed water from Valencia plant is used to irrigate the Tournament Players Club Golf Course and greenbelts at the Westridge development. The remaining reclaimed water is discharged to the Santa Clara River. A power generator, run on compressed biogas (mostly methane and carbon dioxide), produces electricity and hot water that supplies much of the plant's heat demand. Biosolids removed from treatment processes are recycled.

Click to Enlarge

Saugus Water Reclamation Plant
The plant is located east of San Fernando Road in the city of Santa Clarita. It went into operation in 1962 and currently has a treatment capacity of 6.5 mgd.

The Saugus WRP and the Valencia WRP provide wastewater treatment in the Santa Clarita Valley. These facilities are interconnected to form a regional treatment system known as the Santa Clarita Valley Joint Sewerage System. Solids removed from the Saugus WRP are conveyed to the Valencia WRP for treatment.

Click to Enlarge

Palmdale Water Reclamation Plant
Placed in operation in 1953, the Palmdale plant provides secondary treatment (in aerated oxidation ponds) for up to 15 mgd. All of the reclaimed water is reused for irrigation of trees and animal feed crops. The recently adopted 2025 Facilities Plan includes upgrading to tertiary treatment with nitrogen removal, and construction of storage reservoirs that will enable 100% reuse of reclaimed water for agricultural and municipal uses. Biosolids are composted for recycle.

Click to Enlarge

Lancaster Water Reclamation Plant
Placed in operation in 1959, the Lancaster plant provides secondary treatment (in aerated oxidation ponds) for up to 16 mgd. The recycled water produced at the Lancaster plant is reused at various sites. Approximately 4 mgd of the recycled water is used to maintain a Piute Ponds, a 400-acre man-made wetland habitat. Some recycled water receives additional treatment and is conveyed to Apollo Lake Regional County Park, where is used to maintain three lakes that are opened to the public for recreation. The recently adopted 2020 Facilities Plan expands and upgrades the plant to tertiary treatment and increases removal of nitrogen. Storage reservoirs will be constructed and agricultural and municipal reuse of recycled water will be expanded. Biosolids are composted for recycle.Back to top

Click to Enlarge